Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Easiest Ever Infinity Scarf



This pattern is for an open weave mesh look infinity scarf. Photos show scarf doubled. It is very easy and takes about an hour to make. These scarves make excellent gifts!

I had originally posted this pattern to Ravelry, in the "Notes" section. I guess this is a no-no, as it was deleted. I am finally getting around to posting it here. I have had some questions regarding the pattern. It really could not be more simple, though. It it just rows of single crochet and at the end seam the ends together. Some were asking how it could have an open look without chains. The answer is the use of the large S hook and pulling on the scarf lengthwise as you go.

Abbreviations: 
Chain- ch
Single crochet- sc 

Slip stitch- ss

Materials:
3.5 oz. (a little more than half a skein) of Lion Brand Homespun yarn Size S (19mm) crochet hook
blunt yarn needle for weaving in ends
scissors

Finished item measures about 6" wide x 60" long before seaming

Notes: 
Gauge is not important, but try to crochet loosely. The large S hook and crocheting loosely is what gives the scarf an open weave mesh look. Also, you can pull on the scarf lengthwise as you go to open it up more if desired. I did not ch 1 at the end of each row, but you can if you wish; It won't make much difference in the look of the scarf. You can really make this scarf with any weight yarn, just adjust the beginning number of chains to desired width and if you go with heavier yarn, I would also use a larger hook than the S. 

Pattern:
Ch 10 (If using worsted weight yarn, ch 12 or amount needed for width desired.)


Row 1: sc in second ch from hook and in each ch across to end (9 sc), turn, (Do not ch 1)


Row 2: sc in first sc and in each sc across to end (9 sc), turn (Do not ch 1)


Repeat row 2 until scarf is 60" long, (DO NOT cut yarn)

Place ends of scarf together right sides facing each other, ch 1 and ss ends together across to end. Tie off, cut yarn leaving enough tail to weave in. Weave in ends. 

28 comments:

  1. thank you for this pattern, I'm going to try this as my next project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you find a 19mm crochet hook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, you can find 19mm (S) speed hooks at most craft stores or online. I don't remember where I got mine, but it's red plastic and made by Lion Brand.

      Delete
    2. I found my hook at Micheals. But Joann's or AC Moore would carry it also.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen an S hook. is Q or P big enough or even Jim I have lots of homespun and love this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked mine up at Joanne fabrics. Mine made by Boye. Check craft stores and Walmart too.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen an S hook. is Q or P big enough or even Jim I have lots of homespun and love this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use whatever hook size you want, but with a smaller hook you will need to start with a longer chain and the stitches will not be as open.

      Delete
  5. I am puzzled by this pattern. Reading the instructions, it appears that the fun she'd product will be a solid piece vs an open pattern of tiny holes With no chain 1 stitches between sc stitches. The photo looks like connected chains vs sc stitches. Please help. Thanks. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is simply single crochet with no chains between. The open mesh look is achieved by using the large S (19mm) hook and crocheting loosely. It may take some practice to crochet a weight category 4 or 5 yarn with such a big hook. After a few rows, it goes very quickly. You may want to pull on the rows vertically as you go, to open it up a bit more. (It's like broomstick lace, but using a big hook eliminates the need to crochet around something.) Hope this helps.

      Delete
  6. You could effect the same with a sc, dc pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this the homespun or the homespun thick and quick with the S hook?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the regular Homespun, not Thick and Quick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Using a Q hook and Homespun yarn. Looks just fine. Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used "I Love This Yarn Chunky" with a P hook and it turned out great! Thanks for the free pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to use your pattern to teach a beginner crochet "make and take" class. Would that be all right with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have made several already for myself and gifts; it is a great way to show off colorful, soft yarns, and I felt it would be a fun, easy first project.

      Delete
  12. Starting This One tomorrow...I had to do a search for a S hook..found one online at Hobby Lobby..however I'm trying Thick & Quick.. hope it won't make too much of a difference..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this!!!! do you think it would look good done with Lion Brand Mandala?? it's a 3, not bulky....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, you might try a Q hook with the lighter weight yarn and add a couple chains in the beginning to get the width.

      Delete
  14. I will do this pattern with matching boot toppers and headbands! Thank you for the pattern. Great gifts for our granddaughters for the upcoming weather!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love this pattern. It goes so fast using the S hook. It makes such a beautiful pattern my granddaughter's going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For an experienced 79 year old crocheter, I'm impressed by the simplicity of this unique pattern! (I was a bit dubious.) I was looking for something to make with one skein of Red Heart Love Metallic, worsted weight. The largest hook I have is probably a P - but close by was a size M, so I've started with it, by chaining 5 more starting chains. It's going to be lovely! I can't thank you enough for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey San Dias....
    I suck at pattern reading also. When I get stuck, I make a diagram using crochet pattern symbols (gotten from Pintrest) so that I have a picture to follow. When the pattern is a simple repeat as this scarf is, you only have to draw the symbol lines through the first full pattern and you have a picture worth a 1,000 words. I find it much easier that way. Also, If the pattern is written in a paragraph instead of line by line, it is extremely confusing. Another way is that I find that I can hand copy the pattern and arrange it line by numbered line and it helps me be able to read it. I wish all designers would write their patterns this way so that you can read Row # by Row #. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your submission. I also think that geek squad tech support laptop computers are getting to be more and more popular right now, and now are sometimes the only sort of computer found in a household. This is due to the fact that at the same time potentially they are becoming more and more economical, their processing power is growing to the point where they’re as strong as desktop computers from just a few years ago.
    Regards: Best Buy geek squad

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your pattern and I wonder how it would work out with Caron Simply Soft yarn? What size hook would you use?

    ReplyDelete